Monday 11 July 2011

Sugared Petals

As you know I was very happy to find a heartsease plant as the petals, as well as being beautiful, are edible. Today I attempted to make some sugared petals for decorations on desserts and cakes. This is how you do it:



Take:
Lots of petals (rose or violet petals work too)
1 egg white lightly whisked with a little water
Caster sugar
Pastry brush
Baking parchment

The basic method is to brush both sides of the petal in egg white and then cover it in sugar, then leave the petals for 24 hours to dry out. That makes it sound a lot easier than it was. I like fiddly things - I enjoy sewing, embroidery and make handmade cards, but this was a labour of love! I took an age...you end up with sugar everywhere and petals that stick to everything. 


I do think that the end result looks beautiful, but I would not advise you to attempt this unless you have a while and are feeling particularly patient!



I used them to decorate some raspberry cupcakes that I made today. 



No comments:

Post a Comment